Thursday, July 3, 2014

25 Things I Learned About Life By Age 25



When I turned 25, I wrote down some of the things I've learned over my short time on earth. The last year has been a crazy roller-coaster ride which has enabled me to see certain things like never before.Last year during this time, I was working at what I would consider my "dream job" — well, before I discovered my current "job" (I don't think I can even call it a job).

Over the last year, I've tried to learn from people who have "made it" in life — entrepreneurs, figureheads, lawyers, bankers and even politicians. I've realized that there is no formula to success in life, but there are definitely lessons that can be learned to help along the journey. I came up with the following list which I hope to someday come back to — but for now, I think it's a pretty accurate depiction of how I think. So without further adieu:


1. Take risks when you're young. The older you become, the harder it gets. But they should always be calculated.

2. The most important thing you learn in school is how to learn. Once you master that, nothing will stand in your way. Never stop learning.

3. I would rather say that I tried and failed than live a life of regret. You miss every shot you don't take.

4. Dream big. Life is too short to only be mediocre.

5. Music is the cheapest and simplest cure to life's problems. Queue up your favourite play list, put on some headphones, and take a walk. You'll instantly feel better.

6. Drink beer. Lots of it. It makes you think more creatively. Oh, and wine too.

7. Join clubs and put yourself in as many different social settings as possible. It will help you understand people and make you a better communicator.

8. Start your own business as young as possible. Even if it's a lemonade stand, it will teach you business lessons you'll use for the rest of your life.

9. If you're going to fail, fail fast and make it public. Don't drag it on. Then pick yourself back up. Knowing that others watched you fail will encourage you to prove them wrong.

10. Meet lots of different people. Life is serendipitous in many ways, and you never know what can happen.

11. When life throws lemons at you, make lemonade. Then pour it for all your friends. Be optimistic. It spreads like wild fire.

12. Success does not lead to happiness. You need to be happy first before you can become successful. Find what makes you happy. Don't stop until you find it.

13. Many people don't want to start businesses because they are scared. Successful entrepreneurs got to where they are because they were willing to tread where others wouldn't. If you're too scared to leave your 9-5 job, entrepreneurship is not meant for you.

14. Surround yourself with people way smarter than you. That is the only way you will be challenged to grow.

15. Only those who are with you during the struggles deserve to be with you when you celebrate the successes.

16. Pick and choose your battles carefully. There are only 24 hours in a day. If something isn't worth your time, just say no ... or outsource it to India ;) (Thank you, "4 Hour Workweek.")

17. The most important asset to invest in is yourself. Take classes to make yourself a better person and never stop learning. Buy books. Lots of them.

18. True friends will never question why you disappeared off the face of the earth. They will be there for you unconditionally.

19. The more comfortable you are with a job you don't want to be doing, the harder it will become to leave it and chase your dreams. Learn what you can, then go change the world.

20. A dream job does not exist. You have to create it.

21. Travel as much as you can. You will come back with a wider perspective of the world and more ideas on how to change it.

22. "Thank You" — the most powerful two words in the English dictionary.

23. God gave us all a purpose. Don't settle until you find yours. I didn't think mine was to sit in front of computer screens and trade foreign exchange, so I kept looking.

24. The world may seem big and scary. But the older you get, the more you realize that everything is man-made. Nothing is set in stone. Don't stick with the status quo. 

25. Life is not easy. But having the right support group with you during your journey goes a long, long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For Bloggers Free Backlinks